Top 5 remedies for minor neck pain
The straining of the neck muscles or a nerve compression generally tends to cause neck pain. It can occur to anyone, anytime, without warning. It could probably be triggered by bad posture or leaning / hunching over your desk. Usually, neck pain resolves quickly. But sometimes, it can get severe. You know its time to see a doctor when the pain is persistent, if you have muscle spasms or a stiff neck, headache, if your neck hurts while watching tv, working on a computer or laptop or even driving a car or you if you are unable to turn your head from side to side.
Most generic neck pains resolve with home remedies. For severe neck pain, it is advisable to see a doctor. For minor neck pain, here are some quick tips on how to get relief:
- Over the counter pain relievers like Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB) or Acetaminophen (Tylenol) can be used to get quick relief. Do check with your doctor for what is best, along with the dosage instructions.
- Apply heat or ice to the affected area. Ice can be applied for the first 48-72 hours, followed by heat therapy in the form of warm showers, hot compress or the use of a heating pad. Gently massage the affected area without adding too much pressure.
- Perform a series of slow neck motion exercises in three directions: up & down, side to side, tilting your head from ear to ear. This helps to stretch the neck muscles and most people get relief by performing these simple exercises.
- Sleep on a firm matress, preferably without a pillow for a few days.
- Check with the doctor for using a temporary soft neck collar till the pain is relieved.
Over and above these quick home remedies, the following actions will help to provide relief from minor neck pain:
-Use a headset to answer phone calls instead of directly talking on the phone. This avoids straining your neck.
-Maintain a good posture throughout the day- whether sitting or standing
-Adjust your computer monitor to eye level. It should never be below eye level.
-Do stretching exercises at regular intervals at your work desk for your neck and back. This will help to avoid frequent pain.
-Use a proper pillow and ensure that you sleep on a firm matress
The above remedies are very easy to implement and can provide relief from generic neck pain. It is best to make sure the pain is not aggravated. In the situation that it does, it is advisable to consult a doctor for the right course of action and medication.
Dr Subodh M. Shetty is one of the best Orthopedic Surgeons and doctors in India. He is the best spine doctor in South Bangalore and is a specialist in treating Slipped Disc problems of the neck and lower back using Minimal Invasion Techniques. He has also been treating Paediatric Spine problems with deformities, Traumatic Spine Infections, hunchback problems and performs Spinal Fusion Surgery with an excellent record.
Dr. Subodh M. Shetty can be available for consultation at SMS Spine and Ortho Clinic at Koramangala and Banashankari, South Bangalore. Apart from the clinic, he also practices in hospitals like Apollo Spectra Hospitals, SSNMC Super Specialty Hospital, Sagar Hospitals and ProMed Hospital. For further information on neck and back pain, Scoliosis, Spinal Fusion surgery and other spine and neck related disorders, please visit the website: http://theorthopaedicclinic.in/
To book an appointment with Dr. Subodh M. Shetty, please visit this page.